Winter is coming…but I love this pattern so I thought I would make it in a wintry interlock fabric. I first saw Giselle way back in April I think on Esty and its literally been sitting in my Etsy basket since then. When this month challenges were announced I chose the Dakota initially because I thought I couldnt make a Giselle in our winter here and wear it. But then I had this interlock thick knit fabric that was destined to be a shift – y type dress. Despite all my rationalisations I still couldn’t get Giselle out of my mind, eyed up the fabric and the more I looked the more I saw the fabric only become a winter Giselle. I love the feminine boho seventies vibe of the pattern especially the fitted midriff. I could picture it with my boots and a cowl scarf.
Unfortunately I dithered so I missed out on the discount for froctober. As far as patterns go this has had the quickest turnaround. I bought it ,printed , taped and cut pattern on a Tuesday. Wednesday night I cut out the fabric and check fit by basting bodice together. Adjustments made, I finished the dress the next day.
Cutting out and taping the pattern was straight forward. I cut out a size medium basted the bodice pieces and unfortunately it was on the big side and the bust line was too high. Took it apart and cut it down to a small. In order to lower the bust line I lengthened the bodice piece by 1.5 inches – that did it!
The bias band around the neck was an accident – I was actually trying to put the binding behind the edge! Only realized after stitching a few inches and as I was about to unpick I thought hang on? Can I make this work? Finished of stitching and folded the binding over double to make that band. I was happy with that! The instructions were very clear and easy to follow which was great. The dress looked great sleeveless but I went on to insert sleeves because…well its a winter dress so it needed to be warm. But I do have plan now to make the Giselle as a sleeveless dress for summer…….(added to my ever expanding sewing queue 😜
The major struggle I had was with the gathering on the skirt. Since I wanted a full skirt there was a lot of fabric there and I am just not good with gathers! There I said it….(feel so much better now). That aside I would say this is an easy to make dress. I finished in 2 sittings, all in all it took me about 4 hours total which isn’t bad IMHO. Its so easy to finish since it doesn’t have any zips or buttons and buttonholes. The belt ties are a genius way of ensuring a lovely fit. This dress is a great contender for my Xmas day outfit because I will be able to adjust waist as the day progresses!
I have been wearing all day and I love it. Such a flattering fit and oh so warm and cosy – perfect for the really dull grey overcast rainy days we have been having 😉 Goes without saying that I recommend this pattern 😉 Thank you Kate of Kate&Rose for such a lovely pattern.