This is a super quick ‘Notebook’ style post. Its to post my notes on processes etc so I don’t loose them. I have a bad habit of writing adjustments on the nearest writing place and I always end up loosing the notes! Grrr!!!. So anyway this is a work in progress on Vogue V1440. I did a post on the new Vogue spring patterns and mentioned how I loved V1440. I had to wait a few more weeks before they were available here in the UK. When it arrived I was petrified. What my made me think I could make a shirt with such complex details? A triangle yoke!
Points to remember,
1. Coral linen for the muslin. Linen was very thick on the the french seams and the fly front.
2. The collar was constructed under the helpful dulcet tones of Pam Howard’s Tailored Shirt Craftsy class. It was so helpful. This my first collar = can you believe how professional it looks! I cant believe I did this on my first go. That class is easily my favourite! <I am not paid to say this, I bought this class last year during Black Friday>
3. I mixed up my front pieces and somehow ended up with the buttons and buttonholes on the wrong side. Women button towards the heart and men away from the heart….mine buttons away. I have to really watch out for this because the two front pieces are cut separately.
4. I also need to remember when topstitching the collar to make sure that the upper collar is facing up so its neater.
5. I fudged the point on the yoke triangle but not bad for a first go. I need to read up on sewing perfect points.
The fit is very very loose. By the measurement chart I should have cut a size 14 but when I looked at the pattern to see what the waist and bust measurements of the completed garment would be – I needed to cut an 8. Being prudent and fearing mistakes, I cut a 10 instead. It was still too loose fitting for my liking with some armhole gaping. So I took off 6/8 inch at the sides and the sides and that eliminated the armhole gaping.
I didn’t bother with finishing he hem but I will on my next muslin.
Adjustments to side seams made, back pieces traced and front pieces folded in at side seams. Work has begun on a second muslin.
I do like the construction order. Its very neat and thorough. I absolutely loved every second of making this up. Steam and heat were my friends on this one – I love linen for its response to a hot iron 😉
As always happy sewing everyone!