I made another dress using a Lekala pattern before my holiday to take with me. Lekala 4029 is a a side drape dress with a cowl neckline and simple design lines. It caught my eye because I had been looking for a simple cowl neck dress to make with some of my Spoolette fabrics. The fabric was bought from Fabworks in Dewsbury. Its such a wonderfully rich colour I do wish I had got enough of it to make a wrap dress.
It was easy and straightforward to make. The fit was spot on as usual. I used my overlocker for all the seams. The front and back bodice were stabilised with clear elastic. This is becoming a standard procedure for me whenever I use jersey fabrics.
The only issue I had was that I do not know how to sew a seam that is to be draped. The lower front pattern piece is longer on one side than the back. In theory its supposed to be gathered gently but I ended up wit a ruched seam instead of draped. It looks good now but that was not the intended effect :-). The problem is I decided to use some clear elastic on the seam. Somehow thinking this would stabilise it – instead it created a ruching effect. I tried 2 more times to fix it but each time I was losing more seam allowance so I ended up leaving as is. When I try it again I will leave out the clear elastic on the side.
I used a twin needle to finish the armholes and hems and neckline at back. I am very pleased with the look. I added the bands that hold the cowl neck before sewing up the shoulder seam.
I wore this dress a lot on holiday – it travels well and I have washed this a few times already.
Verdict : A super quick make and a great addition to the wardrobe (a bargain too at 99p for the pattern;-). No doubt I will be making more of these (picturing one one in a navy blue or black…).
Thanks for stopping my little corner of the interwebs. Until next time….. Happy Sewing!