In which I murder a curtain.
I bought this fabric more than six years ago when I was making curtains for our new place. With only 3m end of roll left it was never going to enough for curtains. I bought it because I loved the large dramatic floral and thought I would make cushions.
It stayed hidden, forgotten, until I gathered all my fabric together over a year ago in a futile attempt to organise my stash and rediscovered it.
Only after I made the muslin for the skirt did i recall that this would probably work and it was about time I used it. Here is my pattern review entry:
Skirt has lined waistband, side pockets, and pleated lower front and back, cut on crosswise grain.
6-22 I cut a size 12.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were good. However I didn’t use the exposed zip (I didnt have one in my stash) as per instructions and went for a concealed one instead. The instructions tell you to leave hem unhemmed but I wasn’t having that. SO be careful because the pattern paper length is the final length – it does not have a hem. You need to add a hem if working with a woven fabric.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I bought this pattern because I liked the dramatic flare on the skirt paired with the high empire waist.
I used curtain fabric that has been languishing in my stash for years. It was an end of roll 3m piece massively discounted. The fabric has a dupioni look to it with the big bold floral design on it. It got the stiffness to hold the flare. I also thought it had Dolce & Gabbana feel to it with the huge dramatic florals.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I didn’t change anything except for the zip as mentioned above.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would sew it again BUT there are issues with the thick straight waistband. If you are a straight shape (tube) then it will fit fine. But if you have a shaped waist like I do then the waist band does not stay nice and straight. You can see in the bathroom selfie picture taken after a night out how the waist band rolled down. Not cool.
For my next one I have to draft a contoured empire waist band which will either have princess seams or a long curved piece.
Also remember that you need to add a hem allowance as the pattern does not have one.
Its a relatively quick project to make. Despite finishing hem with bias binding and encasing zipper seams, it took 2 days to make this skirt. The actual fabric recommendation is for stretch fabrics like ponte or scuba but you can definitely make with wovens – you just need to check pattern tissue measurements first.
I really like the contrast waistband in fuschia with pink satin bias binding – its so pretty on the inside too I wore this for a night out at Leeds Grand Theatre and got a lot of compliments. The outfit worked well with this Mimi G off shoulder top I whipped up for the outing.
Its a great pattern but that empire waistband will not work on curves. I will be making it after I redraft the waist.
Needless to say I felt like a million dollars in an all memade outfit. Will do a post soon about that top which only took me an hour to sew up on the Saturday afternoon that we were due to go out in the evening leaving the kids and the mother in law all at home :-)))).
As always thanks for stopping by my little corner of the interwebs. I have been sewing up a storm and will be posting more stuff later on this week.
Until then …Happy Sewing.
Peace and Love,