I am super excited to share with you my first ever sponsored post. Sponsored post! I have to share how this happened cause it was totally awesome. So a few months ago I read this post from KitchenTableSewing and discovered SewEssential.co.uk – an awesome online shop that has a HUGE selection of John Kaldor fabrics at my kind of prices. I ordered 4 lengths of fabric that I was so happy with upon arrival. So when I needed a navy blue jersey fabric for a top I went and got more from their John Kaldor Isabella Wool Mix Jersey. Again I was very pleased with the quality of the fabric. About 6 weeks later I got an email from Lucy at SewEssential reaching out and offering me a choice of fabric and pattern from the online selection. Um it was a no brainer for me, I already knew they have great fabric and service so I was like “You had me at Hello“!
When it came to selecting fabric I had already bought some of the John Kaldor Isabella wool mix jersey which feels so lush against the skin – I cant tell you how much I love it – so I decided to get it in the red and make myself a red dress. <You see I can do other colours that are on the opposite end of the color spectrum to blue :-).
Allow me to wax lyrical about the John Kaldor Isabella jersey – it is truly lovely. I washed it at 30 degrees and tumble dried on cool and that worked a treat. The edges don’t curl up as much as other jersey do which I really liked.
SewEssential stock a huge range of patterns from indie pattern houses and the big 4 to choose from. I had a lot of fun going through their selection deciding what pattern to get. In the end it was Wren. Ever since Ali (thimberlina.wordpress.com) wowed me with her Colette Wren I have been dying for a chance to make one so this was my chance. It was a happy day when I received my packet in the post with the pattern and fabric :-).
Construction wise its very simple to sew up. The instructions are concise and straightforward. However I do not like the back neck and in my next one I will redraw that back neck.
Ok the nice bit is out of the way I am going to get into fitting……because I did my research and I found out that a lot of people had issues with the bodice on the Wren dress so I wisely made a muslin. I made size 2 which was the one that corresponded to my bust measurement but it was much much too small unless if I was going for an exposed boob look a la JLo circa the Puff Daddy era.
So I made another muslin in the next size up. This one fit my shoulders perfectly and my waist BUT it was still lacking in boob coverage, which again, would be fine if that was my cup of tea. But it isnt. So I did a 1″ Full Bust Adjustment for the first time. So I made a third muslin which was spot on. I also added 1″ to the bodice length on account of the fact that I found the waist was too high for my liking. I liked it better sitting on my natural waist.
Initially I made it with the short sleeve version – but there is something about them that I don’t get along with so I ended up cutting them into cap sleeve which better fits my broad(ish) shoulders. The skirt portion is gathered and attached in the same way the Moneta is. Having had 4 practices with that elastic gathering technique – this step was easy enough for me. I finished the hem, sleeves and back neck with a twin needle.
I love this dress. It flows and moves so beautifully. Basically I am in this dress but it feels like its PJs :-). It was worth all the fitting trouble I went through. I do think its one of those styles that is flattering on an any body type judging by all the beautiful versions I have seen on the blogosphere. Just make sure to make one or two muslins to get that fit spot on, then make it in a lush fabric :-). I am thinking I’d like to make this with long sleeves in …..navy blue next (this French Navy to be exact). Yes! I cant stay away from blue. And on that note…..
Thanks so much for stopping by my little corner of the interwebs. I will be back soon!
Peace and love,