In March I decided to sew up this interesting shirt dress pattern from the March Issue of BurdaStyle Magazine. The March issue itself was not that awe inspiring to me and I struggled to select styles to sew. I ended up with 2 things this dress and the panel skirt here.
The shirtdress has a twisted bustier which piqued my interest – if only to see how it sews up. The skirt is wide with some sections of gathering and the bodice is accented with the casual twisted bustier that has the look of a bikini top. This style gives the traditional shirtdress a playful makeover. Here is the line drawing:
The fabric recommendations were lightweight cotton dress fabrics, with stretch blend. I used a shirting cotton that I bought from SewDown Dewsbury here. It has a twill weave which makes it reversible – its raspberry pink on one side and pale pink on the other side.
I thought the fabric could work even though it doesn’t necessarily have any stretch in it being a woven cotton. It is crisp and I felt that might look good with the full skirt.
The process of sewing it was quite easy. It is the featured sewing course in the issue which means it comes with full instructions supported by illustrations. The magazine instructions say the pattern pieces to be traced are shaded in but there is a printing error. It is actually the green lines of sheet A.
View this post on Instagram
If you are planning on sewing dress 113 in Burdastyle 03/2018, this will be useful. The magazine says the pattern pieces are the pink shaded ones on sheet A. But the shaded pink pattern pieces on sheet A are actually for the double zipper trousers. I eventually found the pattern pieces on the same pattern sheet A (after checking all other sheets with red lines😒). The pattern pieces for shirtdress are the GREEN lines on sheet A, pieces 1-10. Happy Saturday guys! #burdastylechallenge2018 #burdastyle #sewing #sewingchallenge #burdachallenge2018
The only change I made was to remove the long sleeves and keep it sleeveless. In my head I was imagining this as a summer wear, especially with the pink fabric so I just couldn’t fit the long sleeve with the my vision. All I did was to not sew in the sleeve and used a satin bias binding instead to finish the armhole. It has side zip and it fit like a dream when I made it. I sewed size 38.
I love the dress – I positively feel like gliding and bouncing everywhere when I am wearing it! Here is my YouTube video review of the dress so you can see it in motion.
It so funny how the March issue was one that really struggled with and yet it has produced two really outstanding garments for me! Goes to show that sometimes you don’t have to be madly in love to try something.
Thanks so much for stopping by! Until next time, Happy Sewing!
Peace and love,
This was a planned make for my March #burdachallenge2018.
This heatwave has been so good for our allotment. Berries have never sweeter, pumpkins have never grown as large, our bounty from the allotment is the best we have yet had in the 5 years of allotmenteering! It seemed only fitting that this would be the year that I finally made my OH some coveralls to protect his clothes when he does all the outdoor work. Here are some pictures from the allotment taken on Saturday and…..
Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week!
Peace and love,
As it happens, the twins were going to a wedding in June with their dad in the USA. Since it was term time and we didn’t want the school going kids to miss school, we sent a delegation to represent us at the wedding so to speak. And so began the wedding guest dresses project.
It all started with the seersucker fabric that I picked up when I was at Fletchers Fabrics in Leeds Market with my friend Eleanor. There was something about the crisp delicate lightness of the pastel colours that caught my eye. Eleanor has had experience with seersucker and she advised me to not press it – its supposed to have the raised texture. Wikipedia explains it “……..giving the fabric a wrinkled appearance in places. This feature causes the fabric to be mostly held away from the skin when worn, facilitating heat dissipation and air circulation. It also means that pressing is not necessary.”
There is a joy to working with a woven fabric that does not need pressing! It made me realise just how much time is taken up with pressing when sewing up a garment. There were times when I forgot though and found myself pressing a seam out of a deeply ingrained habit.
As for the pattern, I went with a cute but simple dress from BurdaStyle 11/2017. Here is the line drawing:
And here is the style picture –
Its a relatively simple dress to sew up especially since the skirt is a rectangle gathered to fit the bodice. I traced out the size 110cm though they are about 100cm tall – and the fit is just right for something I want them to wear for at least another year. They are at the stage where they are growing rather fast so I am finding that I have to size up so I don’t blink and they can’t fit into it. It’s not so much of an issue with knit fabrics.
Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough fabric to cut both front and back bodice pieces on the bias so only the front had to do. The neckline is finished with a facing. I added patch pockets to the skirt fronts. Still, they love their dresses and the seersucker was perfect for a hot and humid Saturday in Annapolis. Pictures..
Thanks for stopping by! And until next time, Happy Sewing!
If you’d like to see the fabric texture and drape you can check out this quick video where I talk about my plan for it.
Peace and love,